- 1 Place the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over a medium/high heat, turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until tender.
- 2 Fry the onions on a medium heat in a frying pan with a splash of oil and a pinch of salt for about 15 minutes, until they start to caramelise and crisp up on the edges. Remove half to a kitchen towel-lined plate for garnish.
- 3 Add the cumin, black pepper, cayenne and cinnamon and fry for 1 minute.
- 4 Add the uncooked basmati rice and cook for a 2-3 minutes until the rice starts to brown. Immediately add the cooked lentils, 600ml of water, and a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. The water should have completely evaporated.
- 5 Take off the heat and cover with a lid to steam for another 5 minutes.
- 6 Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining fried onions and a generous spoonful of Onken natural yogurt.